The History of Locguenole
THE LEGEND OF LOCGUENOLE
A well-known legend told of Saint Guenole who, when chased by the Devil, stepped across the arm of the sea in one stride to escape his pursuer. He then settled on the land he had crossed to, which has ever since been called Locguenole.
As it appears today, the Chateau dates from the early 1800s, but its history goes much further back in time. From notarial records, the proprietors can be traced back to the 16th Century.
« Pace Belloque » (in time of peace as in time of war)
Passed down first through the maternal line, Locguenole has been the property of the Marquis de Latour-Maubourg, the Count de Perrien, and is presently owned and managed by the “de la Sabliere” family.
The neighboring Manor dates back to the beginning of the 18th Century. Reconstruction of the present Chateau began in 1810, in the center of a magnificent woodland park designed by André of Versailles, considered to be one of the best French landscape architects.
Below the Manor are elegant outbuildings, bordered by numerous gardens and in turn surrounded by walled enclosures.
In 1965 the owners converted the Chateau into a hotel so that their ancestral heritage could pe preserved.
Locguenole then became one of the first Relais & Chateaux in France.
RECENT EVENTS CHRONOLOGY
1965 : Opening of the Hotel & Restaurant
1968 : Join the Relais & Chateaux brand
1974 : Expansion building works